The private education and training sector, made up of colleges like ours, is under threat.
We would like you to be aware of two new policy announcements by the Australian Labor Party:
• The first policy is to cap student loans which would see students paying thousands of dollars in up-front fees
with reduced amounts of HELP loans, leaving students out-of-pocket at best, or potentially unable to afford to study at all.
• The second policy threatens to massively shift funding to Government-run TAFEs at the expense of students studying at private colleges. This would mean that students will have their rights stripped away from them to select their college of choice.
The Liberal and National parties have also announced a major review into loans for students in vocational education and training.
• We support this review, but want to make sure that the outcomes do not penalise current or future students.
• We want the Liberal and National parties to ensure that student choice of preferred college is retained, and that any loan caps are based on a realistic assessment of the true market value of high quality education and training.
We believe the proposed changes would be unfair and disadvantage students like you who choose private colleges. We are joining with our industry body ACPET to support the Student Choice Counts campaign in the run up to the Federal Election.
We need to make sure that our contribution is not overlooked and your right to choose, and afford, quality private education and training is protected.
What can you do?
There are approximately 2.2 million students in private education and training in Australia. Together we can make sure that politicians know that private education and training has your support.
• Visit the Student Choice Counts website.
• Share a picture on Instagram with #StudentChoiceCounts
of you learning or applying the skills you’ve developed and tell us why you chose to study with us. Add the location of your college, tag @studentchoicecounts
and Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull (@turnbullmalcolm) and Opposition Leader Bill Shorten (@billshortenmp) to show them your support for private education and training.
• Like the Student Choice Counts Facebook page.
• Contact your local Federal Member of Parliament with your support for private education and training.
We’ll keep you updated as the campaign progresses and thank you for your support.
Thank you for reading. Please feel free to share this article to spread the word and keep your education safe.
Other articles you may be interested in;