JMC Academy’s Melbourne Campus is situated in South Melbourne between the south bank of the Yarra River and Port Phillip Bay. South Melbourne originated at the elevated area first known as Emerald Hill, two kilometres south of Melbourne CBD.
The South Melbourne neighbourhood is bounded by the West Gate Freeway to the north; Kingsway to the east, Albert Road, Albert Park reserve, Ferrars Street, Bevan Street and St Vincent St to the south; and Pickles Street and Boundary Street to the west.
Want to see the real thing?
South Melbourne is one of the oldest neighbourhoods within the City of Port Phillip. A short stroll from the JMC Academy will lead you to the charming and authentic facades and shop fronts of the Victorian era. Nearby Albert Park and Port Melbourne are also home to numerous record label management companies and to a growing number of television and film production houses.
JMC Academy Melbourne is a 15 minute walk or a short tram ride from the newly refurbished Southern Cross Train Station and Crowne Entertainment Complex.
Getting to JMC Melbourne
There are very limited parking facilities available for private student vehicles. JMC Academy is located in close proximity to residential areas and major retail and commercial premises.
One and two hour paid street parking, located in close proximity to the JMC Academy, is available however parking officers strictly monitor the area regularly issuing parking fines. Students are strongly encouraged to use public transport, including trains and buses, when travelling to and from the JMC Academy.
Public transport facilities are readily available in close proximity to JMC Academy and include trams and buses. The closest train station is Southern Cross station (formerly named Spenser Street station). The following routes are within a short walking distance to the Academy.
- Tram Route 112: South Melbourne and St Kilda Beach to the City, runs along Clarendon Street, approximately 100m West of JMC Academy.
- Tram Route 1: East Melbourne to South Melbourne Beach runs along Park Street, approximately 300m South of JMC Academy.
- Tram Route 55: West Coburg to Domain Road runs along Kings Way approximately 1km east of JMC Academy.
- Tram Route 96: East Brunswick to St Kilda Beach runs adjacent to Ferrars Street, approximately 1.2km West of JMC Academy.
- Bus Route 253: Garden City to City, runs along Cecil Street approximately 800m North West of JMC Academy.
Domestic students can collect a MYKi transport concession form from Administration. This form enables students to receive discounted fares applying to travel on all public transport. Discounts of approximately 50% off the normal price apply. International students are not eligible to receive transport concessions at this time.
Bicycle Paths exist between the City and JMC Academy. A designated bike path connects between the City and South Melbourne, via Moray Street, which are located approximately 150m East of JMC Academy. Bike racks exist in the front of 169 Bank Street for the use of JMC Academy students.
The following commercial car parks are also located in close proximity to JMC Academy:
- Wilson Parking located at 69 – 75 Clarke Street, South Melbourne (approximately 500m North of JMC Academy).
- Crown Casino Car Park located at 74 Haig Street South Melbourne (approximately 750m North of JMC Academy).