JMC’S POSTGRADUATE DEGREES IN CREATIVE INDUSTRIES DELIVER A CRITICAL UNDERSTANDING OF THE CREATIVE INDUSTRIES.
Focused on real-world production standards, JMC's postgraduate degrees in creative industries will give you the freedom to explore, create and apply your skills while developing your own concept into commercial reality. It will build your creative network, strengthen your critical thinking and extend your practice.
JMC’s degrees in creative industries integrate practical, creative and entrepreneurial units, designed to develop your creative skills to industry expectations and standards.
When you graduate, you will have an innate knowledge of the creative industries sector, and a highly applicable skill set, including but not limited to:
- In-depth knowledge of the creative industries, specifically within your field of specialisation
- The ability to successfully realise value in the creative economy
The principles of good research and the gathering and analysis of reliable data
- Familiarity with the innovators, innovations and recent developments within and from the creative industries, specifically in your field of specialisation
- The key principles of project design and management, as well as recent developments in business models within the sector
- Technical and communication skills to analyse and evaluate the impact of technological change on the relationship between creativity and society, and, where possible, the ability to implement those changes in the design of your own project
- Cognitive, creative and technical skills to investigate, critically analyse and synthesise trends in consumer tastes and consumption, technical contemporary best practice and your own production project
- The cognitive, technical and creative skills to evaluate at an abstract level what the a final project might look like – based on concept development demos and extrapolation from those demos
- An understanding of the business management principles required to successfully conduct your business interest within the creative industries, and specifically within your field of specialisation.
To help our master’s students take their work to the next level, we have now introduced the MCI grant, which gives our master’s students the opportunity to apply for a grant of up to $3,000 to use towards the creation or marketing of their project!
Why Study your Masters at JMC?
Mindful of your work and general life commitments, the Masters of Creative Industries is available over 4 semesters. Study hours are accommodating and based outside of traditional work hours. For those who are unable to complete the Masters, a Graduate Diploma is an available exit point after the successful completion of 2 semesters and for domestic students only, a Graduate Certificate after the successful completion of 1 semester.
International students may complete the program in 2 years. The program must be completed full-time in order to satisfy student visa conditions.
Post-graduate students are selected to study at JMC on the basis of:
- A completed recognised Bachelor degree (or higher) in a * relevant field of study
- Interview with Head of MCI
- Relevant work experience in the creative industries field
Project concept or proposal and portfolio of sample work encouraged.
* A relevant field of study includes: music and sound production, arts management, film + television, music and related studies, entertainment, graphic and design studies, visual arts, interactive + visual design, animation and game design, creative writing, new media, communication and media studies.
If you do not have a relevant Bachelor degree you may still be accepted based on your other qualifications and/ or industry experience. For more information refer to post-graduate admissions Policies + Procedures or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• International students must also demonstrate English language proficiency equivalent to IELTS 6.5 (Academic) with no band below 6.0. Check out our Postgraduate English Language Requirements for more information.
Have a Bachelor's Degree from JMC?
JMC students that graduate with a Bachelor's degree have the option to skip the first semester of study allowing them to complete the full Master of Creative Industries in just 1.5 years (3 semesters) or the Graduate Diploma of Creative Industries in 1 semester.
Qualification: Master of Creative Industries
Student Type: Domestic & International
Duration: 4 semesters full-time (2 years)
Develop a creative project to a point where it is ready for the market. That market might be the audience, or it might be stakeholders to invest in the next phase. Develop the skills and ability to manage projects, your own creative business, or even an arts organisation. Acquire deep knowledge about your industry through investigating it, and through one-on-one sessions with an industry mentor of your choice. Understand current techniques for developing creative works, reaching audiences, pitching to stakeholders, and explore how you can be innovative in this space.
Qualification: Graduate Diploma of Creative Industries
Student Type: Domestic & International
Duration: 2 semesters full-time (12 months)
Interrogate your creative idea and understand why you are the right person to create it. Learn to effectively communicate to key stakeholders about what you are doing and why they should support it. Improve your skills in developing and managing your projects. Think creatively about how your work can be inclusive and sustainable at the same time as pushing your ideas to new levels.
Qualification: Graduate Certificate of Creative Industries
Student Type: Domestic Only
Duration: 1 semester full-time (6 months)
Understand how to connect creative works with audiences, and deep dive into the current state of the creative industries. Explore how you can use innovative ideas to push your creative work to new heights and deliver it to new audiences. Learn about the collaborative nature of the creative industries and how best to bring your team along for the ride.
Modes of learning
Students can study the course in either Brisbane, Melbourne or Sydney gaining access to JMC's world-class campus spaces and facilities. Classes are mixed-mode on-campus and online. Rural students are able to study the course remotely via the synchronous online sessions. Students will study with their classmates from the same city alongside classmates from other cities.
Students will be taught by world-renowned academics who also have a vibrant industry creative practice. Classes are supported by a well-resourced online learning system that contains the readings and other information students will need.