Registrations for this event have now closed.
JMC Academy returns to the Social Hub space at XCargo in 2019, with a focused program, especially for Bigsound delegates.
From Tuesday - Friday participants can book dedicated 20min individual sessions at the JMC Hub focusing on their choice of song feedback, production feedback, or demo session tracking on selected instruments. Bookings are essential.
Alongside this, Big Sound attendees can drop in throughout the conference and chat to the JMC Academy lecturers about programs in music performance, production, songwriting and music business at any of JMC Academy’s campuses in Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne.
Song Feedback Sessions
Are you looking to improve your craft as a songwriter? Book a 20min Songwriting feedback session with one of the JMC Academy lecturing team. Gather advice and input on how to develop your writing skills with lyric, melody, harmony, rhythm, song structure and emotional impact.
What to bring – Your song! You can supply it as an audio file on a USB stick or phone, or you can play it live for us (bring your instrument if need). If you’ve got lyric sheets and a chord chart that’ll help as well!
Production Feedback Sessions
Effective music production is a critical factor in communicating the content of your song. Whether you’re working on your first demo or upcoming release project in this 20-minute session you will gain some targeted advice on how to use production techniques to enhance your work.
Session Musician Recordings
Collaboration is an exciting part of creating music. The JMC Academy lecturers are all experienced recording artists and in these sessions you can book one (or more!) of them to play on your track. What does this mean? Book a 20-minute session and email us an audio copy of your song (Mp3), arrive at the session with your lyric sheet and chord chart, plus a reference track (a song that you want yours to sound like). We’ll record instrument parts for your song – Guitar, Drums, Bass and keyboards. We’ll track these LIVE together and you’ll walk away with an inspiring demo.
Win a Live Recording Session with ARIA Award-Winning Producer Magoo
We are giving one lucky guest the opportunity to win a 4 hour live recording session with ARIA award winning producer and JMC Audio Head of Department, Lachlan Goold AKA Magoo. Magoo has nearly 30 years of experience in the studio and if you read his bio below, you'll realise this is a prize worth winning! All you need to do to enter is snap a photo with our mixing desk pop up at Big Sound, post it on your Instagram and tag #jmcacademy and #jmcbigsound. Finalists will be notified on Monday 9th September. Good luck!
JMC Musicians and Mentors
Sean Foran (Keyboards)
Acclaimed pianist and composer Sean Foran is most known for his work with improvised music groups Trichotomy & Berardi/Foran/Karlen. He has won the QLD Music Award six times, the APRA Professional Development Award, Lord Mayors Fellowship, AMC State award for excellence and has toured throughout the UK, Europe, Japan, China, and more.
Dr Lachlan 'Magoo' Goold
Dr Lachlan Goold, better known as Magoo is a two-time ARIA award-winning producer, engineer and academic that has worked with an extensive list of Australian artists. Producing music since 1992 this list includes; Midnight Oil, Regurgitator, Powderfinger, Art Vs Science, Custard, The Cruel Sea, Renee Geyer, The Jungle Giants, Saskwatch, Tex Perkins and many more. Lachlan has produced more than 35 Triple J Hot 100 entries and his recordings have sold over 500 000 copies over this time. Lachlan is now the Head of Audio at JMC’s Brisbane campus.
Dan Spirovski (Bass)
Daniel Spirovski is a multi-instrumentalist on saxophone, bass and keyboards who has been in the music industry for close to 20 years playing in originals outfits from funk, rock to hip-hop and has also performed extensively in corporate bands. Daniel is also an accomplished music producer and educator in the fields of music technology, music production and songwriting.
Dr Vincent Perry (Drums)
Dr Vincent Perry is a Brisbane-based drummer, record producer and avid collector of vintage instruments and recording gear. Vincent draws his musical inspiration from the house bands of the 1960s recording industry, especially Phil Spector’s Wrecking Crew and Motown’s Funk Brothers. In 2017, Vincent received his PhD from Queensland Conservatorium, Griffith University. He is currently a full-time lecturer at JMC Academy where he teaches music units. He has also previously taught units in the Audio and Entertainment Business Management departments. Along with his academic commitments, Vincent performs the roles of manager and drummer for corporate/wedding ensemble Radio Club Band.
Tom Combes (Guitar)
Toms Combes’ phenomenal finger-style playing, subtle tone and seasoned musical taste push the boundaries of what is possible on an acoustic guitar. He incorporates finger picking with simultaneous percussion on the soundboard to create a detailed wall of sound. Tom has toured nationally as an in-demand session player, playing at countless festivals and has had his signature guitar playing recorded on multitudes of albums.
Darran Muller (Drums)
Darran has played on more than 400 Recording Session for commercially released albums, TV jingles, Short Film Soundtracks and Theatre Productions. Darran is also a sought after producer with over 40 album projects to his credit. He has toured internationally and nationally playing drums with artists such as The Ten Tenors, Evermore, James Morrison, Emma Pask, Darren Percival, Grace Knight, The Seven Sopranos, Planet Shakers and Grammy winner, Henry Seely. Darran also plays with his own band “Deluxe” and is also in demand as a freelance drummer / percussionist.
By signing up to the JMC @ Bigsound sessions:
1. You are now officially part of the JMC fam! We’ll keep you posted on upcoming open days, masterclasses and all music related industry events. To opt out of further comms email us at email@example.com
2. You understand that feedback sessions are general in nature and JMC Academy does not take any responsibility or liability for the information given.
3. The demo recordings are limited to 20 minutes and are to serve as a guide for you or your own musicians/producer.
4. The demo recordings are NOT permitted to be shared, distributed or included in publicly released recordings.
5. Bookings are limited to ONE session per day.
6. All bookings and requested facilitators are indicative and subject to change at anytime.
Win a Recording Competition T&C'S:
1. The prize is 1 x 4 hour recording session with Dr Lachlan Goold at the JMC Studios: JMC Academy, 75 Grey St, South Brisbane
2. To qualify you must post a photo on your Instagram, your Instagram profile must be set to public and you must have #jmcacademy and #jmcatbigsound in the caption
3. Entries close Sunday, 8th September 11:59pm
4. Finalists to be notified at 10am, Monday 9th September
5. You may enter as many times as you want
6. Entrants will be asked to answer a single open text question and must fill out JMC form to be eligible to win
7. By entering this competition, you give permission for JMC Academy to share your photo on their social media platforms and other marketing channels as they see fit
8. Time of booking studios to claim prize will be subject to the availability of Lachlan Goold and the JMC Studios
9. JMC will retain a perpetual royalty free licence to use recording for promotional or educational purposes
10. The winner will be determined by the JMC Academy team, judged on the open text question submitted by the finalists
11. The judges decision is final
Frequently Asked Questions
One per person, per day One per person, per day
Via the booking link on this page, or in person at the JMC Academy XCargo HUB
You can request a musician in the booking detail. This will be dependent on musician availability
Yes. You can do this in the booking menu
No. This is purely for demo purposes. Feel free to re-record these ideas with your own musicians using these ideas as a guide.
Get in touch with the JMC team – firstname.lastname@example.org