Want to dive deeper and explore your passion?
If you’re the type of person who thinks outside the box and wants to discover your creative side and unlock the possibilities of a career in one of the many growing areas in the Creative Industries, then challenge yourself to take this next step. This January School Holidays Short Courses are available for High School students going into grades 9 - 12 in 2021 or who have just completed grade 12 in 2020.
Recording + Mixing a Band Short Course
Produce a band from start to finish!
2 Day Course
9:30am - 4:30pm
Monday 18th and Tuesday 19th January 2020
Early Bird ticket price: $162 (save 10% - valid until 11:59pm, Monday 21 December 2020)
General Admission ticket price: $180
Book your place in Melbourne
Book your place in Sydney
This short course is designed to the give the student an active taste of participating in a complete band recording session and mix down utilising world class recording equipment and facilities.
DAY 1 will be centred on the recording studio, and students will participate and gain an understanding of the following concepts:
- Recording console signal flow
- Microphone selection for specific instruments
- Setting up instruments in the recording space to achieve the best sound quality
- Setting up Pro-tools for recording a band
- Recording a band live
- Recording overdubs and various takes
DAY 2 will be centred on the mixing of the earlier recording session. Each student will then have access to a Pro-Tools setup, and be taken through the basic mixing principles required to complete a well balanced final mix. Areas of focus will be:
- Setting up a mix session in Pro-Tools
- Basic editing functions
- The use of EQ and Compression
- The use of Reverb and Delay effects
- Balancing levels of the recorded sounds with volume and automation
- Concepts of panning and stereo image
- Basic concepts of mastering
Please bring headphones for the MIDI Lab and an external hard drive, as at the conclusion of the short course, the student may take with them the recording session files and the final mix down. These files can be used as future portfolio work or simply to take home and work on to further enhance their understanding of the skills obtained.
Short Course requirements and details:
- All participants must be going into school grades 9 - 12 in 2021 or have just completed grade 12 in 2020.
- All Short Courses will be held at JMC Academy.
- Short Courses will run during January 2021.
- Price of Short Course includes lunch and light snacks for each participant.
- All participants will receive a Certificate of Participation featuring details of the Short Course they have completed. This Certificate can be included in the participants resume.
- JMC Academy reserves the right to cancel any course. In the event of cancellation, participants will receive a minimum of 24 hours notice and a full refund will be given.
- Content presented in the courses may slightly vary from the descriptions included above.
- Photos will be taken during the short course. If you would not like your photo taken please let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.