Calling all high school songwriters!
We invite participants to submit a demo of an original song (that they’ve written individually or as a team) and the lyrics to the song in written form (i.e. your lyrics written out in a word document).
The demo can simply be recorded on your phone (we just want to hear the song performed!) and only include the vocals however instrumental accompaniment is encouraged. You’re welcome to record the demo in other ways too if you have the means.
So what do you need to submit?
- Demo of your original song in MP3 format (maximum 5 minutes in length)
- Lyrics sheet
- Completed application form (online using the link below)
There are a few T&Cs though so make sure you familiarise yourself with the rules.
Applications must be submitted by Sunday 27th August 2023 11:59pm AEST
The winner will get the opportunity to work with JMC Academy staff to record, mix and master their song!
Now that you know what the competition is all about, here’s the amazing prizes for the winner valued at over $2,500:
- Professional feedback consultation and recording, mixing and mastering session of your original song with JMC ACADEMY audio engineers in our recording studio*
*You can record this individually as a singer/songwriter or with your band (up to 5-pieces).
What can I submit?
- Entries must be the exclusive original work of the entrant(s) and must not infringe any copyrights or any other rights of third parties.
- Song entries must contain both lyrics and music.
- Compositions that have been commercially released and/or are available for sale or monetisation through streaming channels are not eligible for entry.
- You can enter up to 2 songs, however you will need to complete a separate submission for each son.
Technical specifications of entries
- Recordings must be submitted online via the JMC ACADEMY website in MP3 audio format ONLY.
- The entrant should label the audio file with their full name and song title e.g. Justin Bieber_Love Yourself.
- Lyrics sheet must also be included with the entry – these must be either .DOC or .PDF format.
How long do I have?
Submissions for the 2023 Songwriting Competition have now closed.
Who can submit to the competition?
- All entrants must be high school students in 2023 and be studying between year 9 to year 12. Homeschooled children between the ages 14 – 18 are eligible to enter.
- The entrant(s) must be the writer of the song submitted and all work must be original.
- Entrants must be residing in Queensland, New South Wales, ACT or Victoria.
- If an entry is submitted by a group, and the group win, the prizes must be shared by all group members.