Want to dive deeper and explore your passion?
If you’re the type of person who thinks outside the box and wants to discover your creative side and unlock the possibilities of a career in one of the many growing areas in the Creative Industries, then challenge yourself to take this next step. This January School Holidays Short Courses are available for High School students going into grades 9 - 12 in 2020 or who have just completed grade 12 in 2019.
Script to Screen Short Course
Make your own film!
5 Day Course
9:30am - 4:30pm
Monday 20th, Tuesday 21st, Wednesday 22nd, Thursday 23rd & Friday 24th January 2020
Early Bird ticket price: $405 (save 10% - valid until 11:59pm, Thursday 5th December 2019)
General Admission ticket price: $450
In this five day intensive filmmaking Short Course, you'll get creative using the JMC Film and Television Studio’s exciting facilities, developing a short film script from page to screen.
Experienced industry filmmakers and technicians guide students through a series of practical exercises to conquer the major areas of writing, directing, cinematography, and post production - using JMC’s state-of-the-art post-production labs. Learn how to structure, write, break down, and rehearse a short script and to plan a shoot from beginning to end, all the while working with a collective group of like-minds and professional actors. With hands-on experience operating professional cameras and sound, by the end you will not only understand the inside scoop on the inner workings of crew roles and the filmmaking process – but also get to finish a short film.
DAY 1 will introduce students to the form of the short film. What are stories and what makes an audience care? Once the basics have been covered, the brainstorming begins as we come up with our story.
- Overview of the Script to Screen Short course
- Introduction to the short film form
- Explore conflict, drama, goals and stakes
- Begin writing script outline
DAY 2 will bring the story ideas from the first day together into a concise screenplay. We will introduce students to the formatting requirements and the writing style for a screenplay. In the afternoon students will get their hands on camera for the first time as we will go over the basics of using a camera, lights and the latest audio equipment.
- Forming your ideas from day 1 into a concise screenplay
- Introduction to coverage
- Documenting camera setups
- Introduction to camera and lighting
DAY 3 is where the story comes to life. Two professional actors will come into the set to work with our students as we act out our story and get the shots we need for the film.
- Blocking with actors and camera on set
- Rehearsal process
- Directing actors
- Shoot short film
DAY 4 is when we see the results of our work. We all sit down and watch the footage that was shot on day 3. Now the editing process begins. Students are shown how to set up a project in AVID media composer as we build the film, shot by shot. By lunch time we will have a rough cut of our film and by the afternoon we will have polished and shaped our footage into a dynamic short film. we will reflect on our progress edit and suggest changes.
- Introduction to editing
- Rough cut
- Reflection on progress edit
DAY 5 is when we see shape our project into a final product. We continue our edit through the morning, work on the fine cut and we lock off our edit by lunch time. In the afternoon we will spend some time on some vital post production processes – the colour correction and grade, the sound mix, the addition of music, and the online where all these elements come together. Ultimately we will craft all these elements into a dynamic short film.
- Editing Recision
- Fine Cut and Locked off edit
- Introduction to Colour Correction
- Introduction to Sound Design
- Incorporation of Music
- Online and Delivery
Short Course requirements and details:
- All participants must be going into school grades 9 - 12 in 2020 or have just completed grade 12 in 2019.
- All Short Courses will be held at JMC Academy.
- Short Courses will run during January 2020.
- Price of Short Course includes lunch and light snacks for each participant.
- All participants will receive a Certificate of Participation featuring details of the Short Course they have completed. This Certificate can be included in the participants resume.
- JMC Academy reserves the right to cancel any course. In the event of cancellation, participants will receive a minimum of 24 hours notice and a full refund will be given.
- Content presented in the courses may slightly vary from the descriptions included above.
- Photos will be taken during the short course. If you would not like your photo taken please let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.